Load addresses for ELF program headers on ARM

Daniel Jacobowitz dan@codesourcery.com
Mon Oct 11 14:44:00 GMT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:38:59PM -0500, Matt Fischer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 09:43:27PM -0500, Matt Fischer wrote:
> >> However, when I do this, it creates one gigantic segment which has
> >> both sections at their relocation addresses, and zero-fills the 200MB
> >> or so in between them.  It seems like the linker is not correctly
> >> respecting load addresses when it tries to fit sections into segments.
> >>  Is that something that can be gotten around somehow?
> >
> > This is a 2.20 bug.  With current mainline you'll get a warning
> >  section `DATA' can't be allocated in segment 0
> > but ld will place DATA immediately after TEXT in the segment.  The
> > warning is because the VMA for DATA is outside the virtual addresses
> > covered by your program header.  (The warning should probably say
> > something to that effect rather than "can't be allocated" when the
> > section *is* allocated there.)
>
> Ah, excellent.  Ok, so I'll just patch the binaries for now, and then
> pick up that change once it's available.  Dan, any idea when that fix
> will make its way into Sourcery Lite?

A bit off topic for this list but... If this fix is in
assign_file_positions_for_load_sections, which I think it is,
then it will be in our November releases.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery