[RFA] Fix bin2c executable generation for cross-generation

Ralf Wildenhues Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de
Thu Nov 4 18:50:00 GMT 2010

> On Nov 4, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Pierre Muller wrote:
>
> >> The patch below uses -lintl instead of $(LIBINTL)
> >> for bin2c$(EXEEXT_FOR_BUILD) rule.

The patch is not right, as was already noted.

One proper solution would be to let toplevel create a build-$build/intl
if needed, consider whether --{en,dis}able-libintl should apply both to
build as well as to host tools, or add an --enable-build-libintl switch;
then rename affected variables before/after sourcing the appropriate
config.intl files from ../intl and ../build-$build/intl, to something
like LIBINTL_DEPS_FOR_BUILD etc.  Then we only remain at the problem
that bin2c.c includes sysdeps.h which leads to inclusion of config.h
which contains data for the host not the build ...

Since this is a really trivial build tool that is never installed and
that shouldn't print any localized stuff except in --help output, how
about removing i18n for it, and simplifying it to the point that it
needs not include config.h any more?

Cheers,
Ralf