Linker script and dependency search path

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Thu May 20 22:20:00 GMT 2010

On Thursday 20 May 2010 05:35:25 Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@bitrange.com> writes:
> > You're looking for -rpath-link; cf. ld.info.
>
> Yes, but that’s inconvenient for the libc itself: I find it more
> convenient if linking with glibc just works without passing additional
> flags (as on GNU/Linux), and augmenting the linker script does that
> nicely.

you get the same behavior with glibc+linux cross-compilers.  if you dont use a
sysrooted toolchain, the linker scripts have troubles finding things.  so
you'd either have to tweak the linker scripts to use the full paths as found
on your development systems (and make it unusable on a native system), or use
a sysrooted toolchain.

the advantage of a sysrooted toolchain is that the sysroot is fully usable
both with the cross-compiler and as a native chroot with 0 changes.  so often
i will nfsroot that sysroot directly via nfsroot.
-mike