Fwd: [patch ld]: Enable autoimport for x64 by default

Kai Tietz ktietz70@googlemail.com
Sun May 16 14:25:00 GMT 2010

2010/5/16 Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@gmail.com>:
> On 16/05/2010 14:49, Kai Tietz wrote:
>
>> this patch set autoimport enabled for x64 targets by default.
>> Additionally it removes the option for pseudo-relocation-v1, as for
>> this target it would lead to an crash if using it.
>
>  So, after this change, the linker will have two options,
> "enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc" and "enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc-v2", both of
> which mean the same thing and do nothing because they're the default anyway,
> and no option at all that refers to -v1.  I think that's going to seem a bit
> peculiar to users!

Well, the -v2 part I can remove here, too. The v1 makes absolutely no
sense for x64. Therefore I want to remove the possibiltiy for user
producing something not working.

>  Perhaps the -v1 option should trigger an error (deprecation message?) rather
> than be removed altogether?  Or perhaps you should remove both -v1 and -v2
> variants and just have the generic enable/disable options?

Ok, I'll remove -v2. I wanted to keep this for having same options for
x86 and x64, but on a second thought, the v1 has to be ignored and
warned, or even errored. So maybe better to remove it for x64
completely.

>>        * pep.em (gld_${EMULATION_NAME}_before_parse): Set auto-import
>>        default enabled.
>>        (gld_${EMULATION_NAME}_get_script): Check for rdata merge into data
>>        by pseudo-relocation-kind, too.
>>        (enum options): Remove OPTION_DLL_ENABLE_RUNTIME_PSEUDO_RELOC_V1.
>>        (gld${EMULATION_NAME}_add_options): Likewise.
>>        (gld${EMULATION_NAME}_handle_option): Likewise.
>>        (pep_find_data_imports): Remove warning about back-door
>>        enable of auto-import.
>>
>> Tested for x86_64-pc-mingw32. Ok for apply?
>
>  The patch will be OK by me once we've discussed what to do about the
> confusing options (perhaps nothing at all if you really want).
>
>    cheers,
>      DaveK

Regards,
Kai