Is it possible to remove section padding from in as/ld?

Andreas Schwab schwab@linux-m68k.org
Sat May 15 12:27:00 GMT 2010

Miro Kropacek <miro.kropacek@gmail.com> writes:

>> I think if you force an alignment of 2**0 with the current linker script,
>> any alignment directive will be ignored, including ".even". Of course this
> True, but in that case, if linker script is able to force such thing,
> I don't understand why it can't force also this padding alignment. It
> should be consistent, shouldn't it?

The problem is that the alignment requirement isn't stored anywhere.
The a.out format simply does not have any way to express this, so the
linker is unable to know whether the assembler has seen any alignment
directives or not.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org