arm-elf float-abi defaults...

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Fri May 14 20:29:00 GMT 2010

DJ Delorie wrote:

>> I thought this stuff already existed in arm-eabi toolchains.  If it
>> doesn't exist in arm-elf, then you should be able to use it there too.
>
> The EABI toolchains use eabi-specific pseudos to set the .fpu.

Yes, but presumably you could make those pseudo-ops ARM-specific, rather
than EABI specific?

>> But, of course, arm-elf is really a dead ABI at this point...
>
> hmmm... if it's dead enough, it becomes a moot point, doesn't it?

It's pretty dead.  Richard Earnshaw recently suggested deprecating
arm-elf in GCC 4.6.  I think that's reasonable; most of the major
operating systems (not just GNU/Linux, but embedded operating systems
too) have switched to the EABI, not just for compatibility with one
another, but because it's technically superior.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery