VMA section overlap warnings for overlays

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Thu May 13 03:37:00 GMT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:19:24PM +0100, David Stubbs wrote:
> I have however found another potential problem with strip. Here's the
> test:
[snip]
> brsbs01 1>strip test.exe
> BFD: stHVOxcK: section .overlay1.bss lma 0x1021 overlaps previous
> sections
> BFD: stHVOxcK: section .overlay2.bss lma 0x1021 overlaps previous
> sections

This is caused by the heuristics we use to set LMA for SHT_NOBITS
sections (bfd/elf.c:984).  I don't think we can make any changes here
though: sh_offset isn't really valid for a SHT_NOBITS section.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM