How to configure cross binutils in a sane state?

Matthias Klose doko@ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 30 19:05:00 GMT 2010

On 30.03.2010 18:37, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Hector Oron<hector.oron@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> Previous config.log I sent was failing in other way. My current build
>> fails with this:
>> Assembler messages:
>> Fatal error: selected target format 'elf64-x86-64' unknown
>
> This is a bug in the way your system binutils were built.  They should
> use a unique name for their libbfd library so that it cannot clash with
> the one just built here.

Are you saying that every distribution should choose its own soname for these
libraries, and tying depending binaries to this distribution (yes, the ABI is
not stable)?  Or do you want to propose a name which should be used for the
system binutils, something like

   ./configure --enable-shared
   v=$(sed -n '/^VER/s/^ *VERSION=\(.*\)/\1/p' bfd/configure | head -1)
   make VERSION=${v}-dist # -sys, ...

Some feedback on #gcc:
on SLES10 it's libbfd-2.16.91.0.5.so
on RHEL5.4 it's libbfd-2.17.50.0.6-12.el5.so
on SLES11 there is no /usr/lib/libbfd*.so

SLES10 is unchanged, RHEL5.4 is changed.

Looks like you can choose any name and not making things worse.

Matthias