[10/11] TI C6X binutils port: gas/

DJ Delorie dj@redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 22:45:00 GMT 2010

> > These constants need 'U' suffixes (and perhaps UL but I don't think so
> > for the hosts we care about) to avoid compile-time warnings.  Please
> > make sure you haven't disabled -Wall/-Werror during your testing.
>
> My testing has -Wall -Werror on both 32-bit and 64-bit hosts and I have
> not seen any problems with these definitions (which are used in tc-m68k.c
> without 'U' suffixes), but I've added the suffixes.

Hmmm... maybe I'm thinking of some older compiler, then.  Oh well.

> I've changed the comment in a way that hopefully makes it clearer.

Yup, much clearer.

> > Your gas port doesn't yet support the compact instructions.  Is this
> > planned for the future, or perhaps as some form of relaxation?
>
> I hope to add that support in future (definitely for objdump, hopefully
> for gas as well).  It's quite a complicated whole-function optimization
> problem;

It sounds like the optimization (or at least part of it) belongs in
gcc, then, but gas doesn't even have a way to manually specify compact
insns.  You'd need linker branch relaxing to get it right 100% of the
time, though, and even then it's tricky.

Patch OK.