Scheduling x86 dispatch windows

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Sat Jun 12 18:44:00 GMT 2010

Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> writes:

> But if you need more why can't you just link the whole assembler
> into gcc? That would hopefully speed up compilation too
> (e.g. over time the text generation of instructions could
> be bypassed)

It would help compilation time a little bit, but generating the
assembly code and running the entire assembler is a fairly small
percentage of the overall compilation time--e.g., 3%.  It's worth
doing a fair amount of work to speed up compilation by 3%, but linking
the assembler into gcc would be an enormous amount of work.  I would
certainly support somebody who wants to tackle it, but I don't think
it's very high up the priority list for the overall project.

Ian