RFC: adapting the testsuite for target that doesn't use .text/.data

Tristan Gingold gingold@adacore.com
Thu Jun 3 11:45:00 GMT 2010

Hi,

like some other targets (rx-elf, som), alpha-vms doesn't use the 'standard' .text and .data names for its
code and data section.  As a consequence, some tests fail.  eg: macros/strings.d

#objdump: -s -j .data
#name: strings
.*: .*

Contents of section .data:
 0000 5c22666f 6f5c2200 62617200 62617a(00|  )  \\\"foo\\\".bar.baz(.| )

I see three ways to avoid this issue:

* adding a per-target option so that the standard section name is used, like what is done on rx-elf.  I
don't know if this option was added only for the testsuite.

I am not a big fan of this approach as it won't work out of the box: this option shouldn't be the default,
and therefore the testsuite won't test what the user uses.

* modifying each test that fails.

Not a big fan too, as this is tedious and make the test harder to read.

* changing on the fly (ie within gas-defs.exp) the options of objdump and the result expected.

I much prefer this one, but I'd like to know if others have different opinions.

Tristan.