Can objdump show friendly symbolic function name?

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@linux-mips.org
Tue Jul 20 18:52:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> >  So what was the fuss about when Mozilla (or whatever monstrous program
> > that was) failed to compile with standard GOT one day then?  Why didn't
> > they simply build whatever the failing object was with -mxgot and the
> > multi-GOT scheme was added to binutils instead?  It looks to me like an
> > overkill solution was chosen, so surely there must have been a reason.
>
> Everything linked in to the executable has to use -mxgot - or you have
> to be lucky.  The usual problem was that one of crtbegin or crtend
> would have a GOT reference that ended up out of range.  That's all I
> remember, though.

 Well, rebuilding crt* files with -mxgot (with GLIBC there's that
libc_nonshared.a thing too) still looks to me like much less effort than
implementing multi-GOT support in binutils. ;)

  Maciej