Compiling under MSYS

Bidski bidski@bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 15 21:54:00 GMT 2010

Hi all,

I ended up resolving this problem. I got an email one morning from the
mingw-w64 group about an updated MSYS package, so I downloaded that and
everything worked fine.

I ended up running into some other problems (un-related to BinUtils I think)
later on down the road and that coupled with some other things forced me to
use a pre-compiled package (TDM-GCC).

"Dave Korn" <dave.korn.cygwin@gmail.com> wrote:
> - could your computer have some memory or other hardware fault?  Might be
> worth running http://www.memtest.org/ on it overnight and seeing if
> anything
> shows up.

Might give this a run anyways, should be interesting to see what comes up.

> - do you have any other gnu/unix tools on your computer?  Make sure
> there's
> nothing like Cygwin, ActiveState perl or python, gnuwin32, MKS or SFU in
> your
> PATH during the build if so.

The only other tools I had was a mingw32 build which is what I was using to
compile BinUtils for the cross-compiler.

> - finally, what if any security software do you have installed?

I do have Norton 360 installed and while that was giving me some problems
(Apparently a.exe is a bad name for a program as far as Norton is concerned)
once I had excluded my mingw and MSYS directories from scans I didnt see any
more problems from Norton. I think I have 1 or 2 other programs on that
BLODA list installed on my system but I do not think they are the cause of
any problems I have had.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Regards
Bidski