ld: can not make stub section: Success

Jeff Hansen jhansen@cardaccess-inc.com
Thu Jul 1 16:34:00 GMT 2010

Hello,

I am using binutils 2.19.1, getting the error messages:

ld: can not make stub section: Success

and

ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Success

on the final linking of my static application with the command:

cross-gcc -msoft-float -EL -g -nostdlib -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-static
-L... -T....ld -Wl,--start-group ....o ....o ....a ....a -Wl,--end-group
-o ....out

This same exact command on binutils-2.17 works perfectly with no issues
(of course the object files and libraries are different since I am using
a newer toolchain with binutils-2.20).

Looking at the code in ld/eelf32ltsmip.c, line ~286, it looks like there
is an unhandled error, if hook_in_stub returns a NULL value.  I'm not
sure exactly what is causing these above errors to be printed, but if
anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated.  If someone wants to
suggest that I use binutils 2.20.1, I can do that, but I wanted to see
if anyone had any ideas first.

-Jeff

--

Jeff Hansen