time to be serious about dropping CVS

Sat Jan 2 19:23:00 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 07:08:38PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>I also remind people that we should be allowing for different projects
>using different version control systems, including some projects
>staying in the CVS src repository (not everything should need to switch
>to different systems at once).

I think that if the project decides to move to git then it should move
to git.  If that means that people who want to stick with CVS won't be
able to easily make changes to the top-level configury then that's just
something we have to live with.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that
either of the two people who have expressed reservations about git
routinely modify the top-level stuff.

>Thus it seems a bad idea to rely on something heavily git-specific for
>keeping shared toplevel files in sync; any merge system needs to include
>diff+patch (or just cp) merging between repositories using different
>version control systems.

Well, I've always thought that the system we have in place for keeping
the top-level files in sync is pretty fragile right now.  But then, when
I write programs I tend to use subroutines over cut-and-paste.

I guess another alternative is to move the projects to subversion and
keep a git repository running on top of that, like gcc does.  That just
seems so wasteful to me, though.

(And I'll bet there isn't a native subversion for MS-DOS either)

cgf