[PATCH] Linker fix for data-only sections

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Feb 4 09:33:00 GMT 2010


Hi Daniel,

>> I may be missing something here, but where in your patch do you check
>> to make sure that the section is a data section and not a code section ?

> ARM sections may contain both code and data, ruled by the mapping symbols,
> so (according to the EABI) we don't care if the section happens to have the
> executable attribute.

Doh - I had forgotten that.  Of course this only applies to EABI 
conformant ARM binaries.  So maybe you ought to check for non-eabi 
targets and handle them appropriately ?

> I originally checked for the BFD section data flags, but the 'data-only'
> flag is not useful here.

But there is a SEC_CODE flag which is present in code sections and 
absent in data sections.

Cheers
   Nick



More information about the Binutils mailing list