creating working PE file with BFD

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Aug 12 15:08:00 GMT 2010

Hi Peter,

> I transformed PE->COFF->PE and try
> to run output file. It didn't work

Not that surprising really.  Translating between different file formats
is hard and I am amazed that your ELF->COFF->ELF translation actually
worked.

> Is BFD able to create valid PE file in general ?

Yes.

> Has someone experience doing something similar, any advices ?

Not that I have heard.

> What other changes are necesssary except changing target ?

Lots.  Basically the binutils codebase is not intended to support this
kind of translation, so there are probably lots of areas that would need
work.

> how is creating PE by BFD different from creating ELF ?

Different source files are used inside the BFD library.