bfd_get_relocated_section_contents on hppa and ia64

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Apr 27 12:20:00 GMT 2010

Hi Camm,

> Where is all this stuff documneted, BTW?

In the source code. :-)  Sorry, but documentation for the internals of
programs like readelf is basically non-existent.

>  Hopefully for all cpu's in one place?

Yes.  In fact there is just one function that needs to be extended to
handle non-trivial relocs for any given architecture:
target_specific_reloc_handling().

> This is fairly modular, but for
> the fact that bfd stores these pointers in constant memory.  I have to
> fork the tree in the GCL source and remove the const declaration for
> this to work.  This is obviously not optimal.  Could we make the howto
> pointers writable?

Universally no.  But this could be made a configure time option so that
by default they remain read-only (since for most environments they are)
but if a particular host environment needs it, they can be made
writeable.  You could submit a patch to do this if you wish...