John Reiser jreiser@bitwagon.com
Fri Apr 9 15:54:00 GMT 2010

> Here's an excerpt from the linker script we use, could you please
> comment on what's missing?

On a machine such as i686 or x86_64, run "ld -verbose" to see a default
linker script.  Pay attention to ALIGN commands and other expressions
involving ". &", such as these and others:
   /* Adjust the address for the data segment.  We want to adjust up to
      the same address within the page on the next page up.  */
   . = ALIGN (CONSTANT (MAXPAGESIZE)) - ((CONSTANT (MAXPAGESIZE) - .) & (CONSTANT (MAXPAGESIZE) - 1));
   . = DATA_SEGMENT_ALIGN (CONSTANT (MAXPAGESIZE), CONSTANT (COMMONPAGESIZE));
   .sharable_data   : ALIGN(CONSTANT (MAXPAGESIZE))
   .lrodata   ALIGN(CONSTANT (MAXPAGESIZE)) + (. & (CONSTANT (MAXPAGESIZE) - 1)) :