use objcopy to patch or poke an elf file?

John Breitenbach breiten@lexmark.com
Wed Sep 23 14:51:00 GMT 2009

Nick Clifton wrote:
> There already is a checksum creation capability in the linker.  (See
> the  documentation for the --build-id switch in the linker manual).
> If none of the methods for computing this value suit your needs then
> you could always add code for your own method.
>
> Alternatively how about reading in the checksum from a separate file
> at runtime ?  Not particularly robust I know, but nice and simple.
>
> Cheers
>   Nick

Hey Nick,
  Thanks for the suggestion - my link to binutils documentation WAS
stuck at 2.17 - no --build-id there.  I'm
excited to see what other options I've been missing!  I'll explore ways
to work with the build-id.  I like the
separate file idea, too, but I don't have an OS in this particular case.

Thanks to you and everyone else who contributes to this mailing list.
Watching it has been
very informative.
  John