PATCH: PR gas/10637: x86 assembler failed to handle [addr] in Intel mode
Jan Beulich
JBeulich@novell.com
Tue Sep 15 13:35:00 GMT 2009
>>> "H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com> 15.09.09 15:21 >>>
>On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@novell.com> wrote:
>> If you already committed it, please revert it (unless you can give a good
>> reason why masm compatibility doesn't matter here). 2.19 wasn't masm
>> compatible in that respect (see my previous reply), and the warning was
>> to tell people to change their code (it may be considered unfortunate
>> that I decided to keep it generating a memory reference here when I
>> added the warning - generating an offset would certainly have *forced*
>> people to change their code in time).
>>
>
>Please tell me which masm treats [] as immediate. I tried one
>masm and it doesn't take [] as immediate.
Anyone I tried. I'm attaching sample source, object, and disassembly,
which luckily I kept from when I did the Intel syntax re-work (it has a
little bit of unrelated stuff, but I hope you can bare with that).
>Changing the meaning of [] is a bad idea since it breaks the existing
>assembly codes. I need a strong argument to tell my users to change
>their codes.
I understand that, but again that's why there was a warning in the
previous version(s).
Jan
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: masm.dis
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 3344 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20090915/ab13ab9e/attachment.obj>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: masm.obj
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 1334 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20090915/ab13ab9e/attachment-0001.obj>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: masm.asm
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 2823 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20090915/ab13ab9e/attachment-0002.obj>
More information about the Binutils
mailing list