[commit] binutils/ Makefile.am missing dependency

Ralf Wildenhues Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de
Sun Sep 6 06:39:00 GMT 2009

Hello Jan,

* Jan Kratochvil wrote on Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 02:05:03PM CEST:
> On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:39:52 +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > >  sysdump_SOURCES = sysdump.c $(BULIBS)
> > > +sysdump.o: sysroff.c
> >
> > I think that should use $(OBJEXT).  The automake docs also suggest
> > BUILT_SOURCES for such a case.
>
> Did not think much and copied the existing "srconv.o: sysroff.c" rule there...
>
> * $(OBJEXT) is not in use in binutils currently at all, I guess there is no
>   support BUILD system requiring it, is it?

I can only guess so, yes.  OBJEXT should be added throughout, if
desired, not only here.

> * Ralf, is there a reason why BUILT_SOURCES does not contain
>   $(GENERATED_CFILES)?

I figured that would not be needed, as I figured there were no generated
.c file that are included by other .c files.  Yes, adding them to
BUILT_SOURCES should fix this.

>  Wouldn't it make these custom rules in .am obsolete?

It would make some custom dependencies obsolete, but not these custom
rules, as their point is to add $(DLLTOOL_DEFS) and other per-target
flag (in the other rules) without requiring a convenience library.

Thanks,
Ralf