Binutils 2.20 release schedule.

Tristan Gingold gingold@adacore.com
Tue Sep 1 07:35:00 GMT 2009


On Sep 1, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Dave Korn wrote:

> Tristan Gingold wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as summer is traditionally the period for binutils major release,  
>> it's
>> time to speak about 2.20.
>> The proposed schedule is:
>>
>> * The 2.20 branch 2.20 is created around September 1st, as well as a
>> first snapshot.
>>
>> * The first release is planned for end September.
>
>  I have just this moment spotted a bug in the PE-targeted linker's
> auto-import feature; it interacts badly with GCC hot/cold  
> partitioning.  For
> auto-import to work, the .text section has to be made writeable in the
> executable image, but (presumably due to some limiation of a pattern  
> or
> substring match somewhere) this doesn't happen to the .text.unlikely  
> section.
> This has only just been made visible by a very recently added  
> testcase in the
> g++ testsuite.
>
>  Should be fairly trivial to fix, by which I mean "take me a couple  
> of hours
> to come up with a patch, starting from now".  If you weren't rushing  
> to cut
> the branch first thing this morning, I'd like to try and get it  
> checked-in
> first just to save me having to apply it twice, but don't change  
> your schedule
> on my account; this note is just a headsup to let you know what's  
> going on.

You can commit.
I think I will slightly delay the branch creation as the current  
activity is high.

Thanks,
Tristan.



More information about the Binutils mailing list