[RFA] Add support for --disable-zlib

Joel Brobecker brobecker@adacore.com
Fri Oct 30 18:22:00 GMT 2009

Hello,

We'd like to be able to distribute binutils and GDB without an extra
dependency on zlib, so we're introducing a new configure switch
--disable-zlib.  The current behavior remains the default.

Since zlib is checked a 4 different locations exactly the same way,
we introduced a new file config/zlib.m4, which is then included by
the various configure scripts.  This file provides an AM_ZLIB function
that checks whether --disable-zlib, and if now, then checks for zlib
support.

config/

        * zlib.m4: New file.

bfd/

        * acinclude.m4: Add include of ../config/zlib.m4.
        * configure.in: AM_ZLIB to check for zlib support.
        * configure: Regenerate.

Tested on x86_64-linux by building GDB with and without --disable-zlib.
I could verify that the dependency on libz disappeared in the second
case.  (there will be a corresponding change for gdb and sim posted
there).

OK to commit? (I know that config/zlib.m4 will then need to be
checked in the GCC SVN as well).

Thanks,
--
Joel