about Reloc Type: BFD_RELOC_8/16/32

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 10:12:00 GMT 2009

Hi Daniel,

> Is there any reference (like howto manual) tells me how to deal with
> those kind of symbol?

Not really. :-(  There are manuals that you can buy which cover how
linkers work, but if you have already implemented relocations for
function calls then you probably know most of that stuff already.  I can
recommend Ian Lance Taylor's blogs on how linkers work, especially these
two:

   http://www.airs.com/blog/archives/39
   http://www.airs.com/blog/archives/43

> like this:
> 	.file	"test_lib.c"
> 	.section .mdebug.abi32
> 	.section	.debug_abbrev,"",@progbits
> .Ldebug_abbrev0:
> 	.section	.debug_info,"",@progbits
> .Ldebug_info0:
> 	.section	.debug_line,"",@progbits
> .Ldebug_line0:
>
> There is relocation symbol ".debug_abbrev", how do I resolve this type
> of relocation?

Can you provide a full example of the problem that you are trying to
resolve ?  Ie please include details of the target you are working with,
the command lines that you use to assemble and disassemble the test
case, and the output showing the relocs.

It sounds to me like you have a bug in your backend code for gas
somewhere that is making it generate relocations when there is no need.
  Perhaps you can compare your backend code with the code for another
(similar) target to see where they differ.