binutils-2.19.90 snapshot is available

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 10 04:26:00 GMT 2009


On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 08:32:05AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> 
> > I'd like to see what breaks if I leave my 2009-09-28 change in
> > mainline.  As a very old comment in the ELF linker scripts said,
> > zeroing vma for ld -r was to avoid bugs in the Solaris linker.  Those
> > bugs may now be fixed.
> 
> I tend to think that it is best to have zero VMAs for sections in ELF
> object files--unless the linker script wants something else to happen.

My thought was to expose bugs in our codebase since we ought to be
able to handle non-zero VMAs in relocatable object files.  You are
quite right though, and I guess it is a little unfair to inflict this
on unsuspecting users.  I'll revert the patch.  If maintainers would
like to test their targets, please apply the attached.  I've already
verified i686-linux, powerpc-linux and powerpc64-linux.

-- 
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ld-r-nonzero-vma.diff.bz2
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 21194 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20091010/d72055bf/attachment.obj>


More information about the Binutils mailing list