[patch]: Discard some sections for pe and pep

Sat Nov 21 14:42:00 GMT 2009

Kai Tietz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> we just were falling over the lto sections generated by gcc with lto
> support. Those section can be discarded by final linkage AFAIU.

  Hi Kai,

  What kind of problems were these causing?  Why does GCC generate LTO
sections on a platform that I thought doesn't support LTO because it isn't
ELF-based?

> Also this patch ensures, that .bss section is getting aligned to a 16
> byte block, this avoids some issues with sse usage.

  I don't get this.  Why isn't __section_alignment__ much greater than 16
already?  All the executables I build come out with sections aligned to the
4kB page size and individual elements within .bss aligned to 2**5.

> About the discarding of section .gnu_debuginfo I am not that sure, but
> AFAICS it should be ok here, too.

  Shouldn't this be decided according to whether we're stripping debug info or
not (i.e. command-line -s/-S options)?

    cheers,
      DaveK