[Patch]: fix bfd/targets.c build failure on AIX

Tristan Gingold gingold@adacore.com
Tue Nov 17 15:39:00 GMT 2009


On Nov 17, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Dave Korn wrote:

> Kai Tietz wrote:
>> 2009/11/17 Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>:
>>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 01:34:07PM +0100, Kai Tietz wrote:
>>>> binutils-owner@sourceware.org wrote on 17.11.2009 13:20:11:
>>>>> This is wrong.  alloca should not be used in libbfd, and where we
>>>>> grudgingly accept it, alloca-conf.h needs to be the first include
>>>>> file.
>>>> just by curiousity. Where is written that alloca shouldn't be used in
>>>> libbfd?
>>> I don't think we document it anywhere, but see
>>> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2000-09/msg00367.html
>>> 
>>> I'm inclined to think that bfd functions used only by ld are exempt
>>> from Ian's rule that libraries ought not abort.
>> 
>> Well, main objections here is abort (), exit () AFAIU Ian's reply.
> 
>  But it also mentions that some platforms implement alloca using xmalloc,
> which may abort.

On the other hand, I am not sure that anyone still compiles binutils on such platforms!

Tristan.



More information about the Binutils mailing list