about port gas

daniel tian daniel.xntian@gmail.com
Thu May 14 05:57:00 GMT 2009

Hello, all:
      I wanna port the binutils to a new 32bit RISC architecture, but
some concepts confused me. I have read the internal documents, things
like: bfd internal, and gas internal. Now I am cracking the crx (a
risc chip of National Semiconductor) porting because it's smaller code
size.

    1.md_apply_fix: How to trigger this function? I  traced the source
code with insight-gdb, but it doesn't go through in function.

  2. relax: I read the concept in "assembler Internals", it
says"Relaxation is a generic term used when the size of instruction or
data depends upon the value of the symbol or other data.".  Does the
"la" insn     which is a pseudo instruction in mips satisfy  this
concept?  As I know, if the symbol value or immediate data larger than
0xFFFF, this "la" will be achieved with two instructions(like LUI,
LI).

  3. tc_gen_reloc: in the assembler internal, this function is not
discussed.  I wonder what the function aim for.

  Thank you very much.

                                daniel.tian