[0/21] Add support for AIX 6

Michael Haubenwallner michael.haubenwallner@salomon.at
Tue Mar 10 15:45:00 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 07:12 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> My attitude when I did the original GNU ld port to AIX was that GNU ld
> should, as much as possible, present the same interface on every host.

Did you also think on providing some 'soname' support for AIX?

As far I understand the manpage (from AIX 5.3), using the native linker
it could work this way, but maybe via libtool only (assume libtool's
soname is "libNAME.so.X"):

*) create a shared object with a defined name (shr.o),
   using -G native-linker flag
*) create an import file containing "#! libNAME.so.X(shr.o)"
*) pack the import file into "libNAME.so.X.Y.Z" *first*
*) pack the shared object into "libNAME.so.X.Y.Z" *second*
*) create the symlinks known from linux/elf:
     libNAME.so -> libNAME.so.X
     libNAME.so.X -> libNAME.so.X.Y.Z

When runtime linking (-brtl) is active, at link-time the import file is
found, recording "libNAME.so.X(shr.o)" into the resulting binary for
run-time.

Sorry for maybe being off-topic.

/haubi/