[patch] Enable power7 disassembling

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 7 12:22:00 GMT 2009

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:00:20AM -0600, Peter Bergner wrote:
> I think this "default" cpu flags was probably an oversight and that
> we should combine the power4, power5, etc. "if" tests into the chain
> of "if else if..." sequence.

Agreed.  As you note, the default chosen is a little odd too.

> It also seems like ppc-dis.c:powerpc_init_dialect() and tc-ppc.c:parse_cpu()
> are basically doing the same thing and that they could be combined.  It also
> looks like tc-ppc.c:parse_cpu() has a more complete listing of cpus than
> ppc-dis.c:powerpc_init_dialect()'s limited list.
>
> Alan, does this look like something that should be cleaned up, or do we just
> leave well enough alone?

I think it's a good idea.  A slightly modified parse_cpu named
parse_powerpc_cpu or somesuch could live in ppc-dis.c and thus be
available to gas in libopcodes.  Then modify powerpc_init_dialect to
step through the comma separated -M args in disassembler_options,
calling parse_powerpc_cpu on each one.  Much nicer.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM