Updating Autoconf and Automake versions used in GCC and src

Joseph S. Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Sun Jun 28 17:31:00 GMT 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> I haven't tried the --with-build-sysroot build; can somebody point out
> to me what I need to do for an effective test of this?  I'm pretty sure
> that updating Autoconf and Automake only will not impact this feature,
> though, but I'll confirm before the switch.

<http://www.eglibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/trunk/libc/EGLIBC.cross-building?rev=2037>
describes a procedure for bootstrapping a cross toolchain to a GNU/Linux
target.  To test with --with-build-sysroot you should install the sysroot
somewhere other than the configured --with-sysroot value, which then
requires passing --with-build-sysroot when configuring GCC and
LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET and CPPFLAGS_FOR_TARGET (with the appropriate --sysroot
options) to make when building GCC.

A typical use case would involve a relocatable toolchain and sysroot
directory: configured --prefix=/some/where
--with-sysroot=/some/where/sysroot but installed with "make install
prefix=/other/location".  In this case --with-build-time-tools may also be
needed when configuring GCC because binutils also will not be in the
configured location.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com