S390: Allowing a NOP instruction without operands
Nick Clifton
nickc@redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 10:29:00 GMT 2009
Hi Martin,
> First of all: yes I think it makes sense to have a nop instruction that
> can be used without operands. I don't like the implementation though,
> to check for particular opcodes with a strcmp feels wrong.
I thought that you might say that. :-)
> My counter
> proposal would be to introduce new variantes for the RR_0R and RX_0RRD
> instruction formats. Make all operands optional and replace the strcmp
> check with a check against S390_OPERAND_OPTIONAL.
Fine by me. I just went with the simplest solution. (Plus I have never
looked at the s390 opcode generation system before and I was worried
that if I tried to introduce a new nop pattern I would break something).
Please could you go ahead and apply your patch ?
Cheers
Nick
More information about the Binutils
mailing list