[gold patch rfa] print "error: " in front of error messages

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Thu Feb 5 06:17:00 GMT 2009

Chris Demetriou <cgd@google.com> writes:

> I've been trying to fish gold error messages out of logs lately, and
> that's made more difficult by the fact that they're not consistently
> marked.
>
> the attached patch adds "error: " in front of the formatted message
> for 'error' and 'fatal' errors.  (Warnings have "warning: " already.)

My original intent was that anything that gold prints, which does not
say "warning", is an error.  It's true that gold_info() doesn't say
"warning", but that is only used for specific options where the output
should be clear.  I think this behaviour is consistent with GNU ld,
not that we have to be consistent.

Can you give an example of the kind of output you are getting that is
hard to work with?

Ian