Porting binutils to other OS

Andreas Schwab schwab@linux-m68k.org
Thu Apr 23 23:09:00 GMT 2009

Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:

> "Alfeiks Kaanoken (MadTirra)" <madtirra@jarios.org> writes:
>
>> I'm confused a little bit, because our parser of the ELF binary
>> (mostly built from existing source code) doesn't find linux-vdso.so.1
>> - is it ok ?
>
> Yes.  linux-vdso.so.1 is introduced by the GNU/Linux specific dynamic
> linker.

The VDSO has nothing to do with the dynamic linker, it is just some
pages of memory automatically mapped by the kernel into the address
space of every process.  Its contents look like a regular ELF shared
object, that's why ldd shows it like that, but the services it provides
can be used by any program, not only dynamically linked ones.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org