Some useless but fun performance numbers on 'gold'

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Sat Sep 13 19:09:00 GMT 2008


Kris Van Hees <kris.van.hees@oracle.com> writes:

> I then processed the logged linker invocations, simply adding up the timing
> numbers for real, user and sys.  This was done in a 4 CPU SMP EL5.2 HVM guest
> with 4GB RAM.  Of course, the difference in timings is what I was interested
> in, rather than the absolute values:
>
> Timing        GNU ld            gold
> ------        ------          ------
> real          82.600          29.841
> user          26.032          11.600
> sys           10.976           5.076
>
> Overall, that turns out to be a pretty nice performance increase.  It might
> be useful to note that 136 linker invocations occured in both scenarios.

Not too bad.  Thanks for doing this.  It's always nice to get some
real world validation.

Still only a 65% improvement in wall time; I have some ideas on how to
make it better with some help from the build system, but I'm not sure
just when I'll get back to it.

Ian



More information about the Binutils mailing list