gas/i386/inval-equ-2 test

Jan Beulich jbeulich@novell.com
Thu Nov 13 08:27:00 GMT 2008

H.J.,

I'm trying to understand what this is really trying to verify - due to a
supposedly unrelated change this test is failing for me. I'm seeing two
possible problems with the test itself, though:

For one, (%eax+1) can't really be considered a register symbol - I really
think that it's an error for the assembler to keep the resulting symbol in
reg_section (this should hold at least for all targets where
md_register_arithmetic is zero). That's also one of my local changes - to
force such things into expr_section.

Secondly, using the equated symbols in an instruction implies that you
expect the parser to happily accept the (invalid) construct, which I think
is not the purpose of the test (and which also fails with my local change,
because [validly] only reg_section symbols are accepted by
parse_register()).

Hence I would think that either the expressions ought to be changed to
have plain registers on the right side, or the move instructions ought to
be removed.

Looking forward to read your opinion,
Jan