undefined reference when mixing a.out and ELF object files ?

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere@freesbee.fr
Thu May 1 20:47:00 GMT 2008

Hello.

I'm experiencing a problem with ld when mixing a.out and ELF object
files (CPU is m68k). I need to make further investigation in order to
make a precise bug report, bug maybe someone may know something about
this problem. I use binutils 2.18.

The problem is something like this.
a.o is an ELF object file containing an undefined symbol
b.o is an a.out object file defining the symbol.

If the ld output format is ELF, the link success.
If the ld output format is a.out or "binary", the link fails with
"undefined reference".

If I convert b.o to ELF using objcopy, the link succeed in every case.

That sounds like a bug... or maybe I'm trying to make an unsupported mix?

Do someone have an idea about this ?
Or any idea of how to fix it ?

Regards,

--