Match archive:file in linker script filespecs

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 12:13:00 GMT 2008

Hi Alan,

> This extends the linker script input section file specification to
> match files within archives.  I've chosen to enable this only for SPU,
> where we need the feature to conveniently specify sections for
> overlays.  (For instance, libgfortran contains read.o as does
> newlib, and we might have read.o on the command line.)  If people
> think this is a good idea the feature can be enabled on all targets,

I do think that this would be a good idea to have for all targets.

> "archive:file" matches "file" within "archive"
> "archive:"     matches the whole "archive"
> ":file"        matches "file" but not one in an archive
>
> Either one or both of "archive" and "file" can contain shell wildcards.

You ought to include documentation on this syntax in the linker manual,
even if only in an spu specific section.  Plus it would be worth
mentioning it in the NEWS file, and including a few tests in the linker
testsuite.