RFC: Adding non-PIC executable support to MIPS

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Thu Jul 17 19:44:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 08:29:42PM +0100, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> No, you're probably right.  Sorry for missing this.

No trouble.  I have found one caveat: MIPS16 call stubs generated by
GCC sometimes make an indirect call through $1.  When TARGET_ABICALLS,
it should be possible to make the call through $25.  Or if the
instruction set does not permit, make the call through $1 but also set
$25.  I don't think I'll be able to test MIPS16 code generation, but
I'll include a patch for this in the submission I'm preparing.

I've also found one potential problem.  But it's a really unusual
case, so I do not plan to fix it - at least not in the first
submission.  If we mark a function as PIC after ld -r, and then it is
converted to a local symbol by something like objcopy, we'll fail to
create a stub for it.

Otherwise, so far everything looks fine.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery