ld searching in /lib for 64-bit libs

NightStrike nightstrike@gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 15:54:00 GMT 2008

When I compile binutils for x86_64-pc-mingw32, I generally put all of
the runtime libraries including crt1.o and crt2.o into
(prefix)/x86_64-pc-mingw32/lib64, where (prefix) is the prefix used
when configuring and installing binutils.  ld will not find crt2.o,
however, until I move or copy everything from the aforementioned lib64
directory into (prefix)/x86_64-pc-mingw32/lib.  Is this correct
behavior?  I would think that 64-bit libraries should be in lib64, and
32-bit libraries should be in lib, consistent with other directory
structures.  If I am wrong, where is the proper place for ld to find
crt2.o?  What are all the possible locations for it?