RPATH/RUNPATH issue, equivalent to -headerpad on OSX

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Fri Jan 4 08:10:00 GMT 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 01:54:04PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > It would be nice if the ELF ld would offer a similar option,
> > e.g. -rpath-length=<size>, and then the RPATH field would have the
> > specified size. This would make it possible to safely modify the RPATH
> > without workarounds.
> > Maybe this would even make sense for binary distribution packages, where
> > (maybe) the install location could be selected and then the RPATH inside
> > the binaries of the package could be modified.
> >
> > What do you think of that ?
>
> It sounds an interesting idea. Please open a bug report. We can
> even add an option to objcopy, --set-rpath=pathname.

i think this is a specific case of a more general desire: to use objcopy to
modify random dynamic tags (change/insert/delete).  having a specific one for
rpath/runpath which simply calls back to the general code would certainly be
nice for users though.
-mike