binutils-2.18 - nlmconf.c - warning: value computed is not used

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 12:32:00 GMT 2008

Hi

Is this with the 2.18 release sources or the current mainline development sources ?
Which target were you building for ?
Which compiler were you using ?

> .././binutils/nlmconv.c: In function 'main':
> .././binutils/nlmconv.c:1081: warning: value computed is not used
>
> but is it safe to ignore this warning?

Possibly, but it is hard to be sure without being able to reproduce the bug.
(I tried with my local sources, but I did not see this warning).  What does
line 1081 in nlmconv.c in your sources look like ?  Is it this:

   strncpy (nlm_variable_header (outbfd)->oldThreadName, " LONG",
	   NLM_OLD_THREAD_NAME_LENGTH);

If so then does changing it to this make the problem go away ?

   (void) strncpy (nlm_variable_header (outbfd)->oldThreadName, " LONG",
	   NLM_OLD_THREAD_NAME_LENGTH);