Unknown section identifier in ObjDump output

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Wed Dec 10 02:39:00 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:28:11PM -0000, Gary Partis wrote:
> Hi
>
> This may be obvious, but I can not find any reference to this on Google.
>
> I have copied output from ObjDump, pertaining to the symbol table. It
> contains an entry who's section is '*COM*'.

It means you're looking at a common symbol.  This is somewhat related
to the concept of Fortran common blocks; they're also used by some
tools for uninitialized globals.  For the purposes of relocation it's
much like being in .bss.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery