[rfc] declaring new object format "FDPIC ELF"

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Mon Apr 21 22:50:00 GMT 2008

some embedded linux targets (currently just Blackfin and FRV are merged, but
there are other arches coming along) support a slight variant of ELF known as
FDPIC ELF.  we both use different tuples to differentiate between FDPIC ELF
and ELF toolchains.  the issue i'm trying to address is having the assembler
select the FDPIC ELF bfd by default based on the tuple.  currently FRV just
says "if it's Linux, it must be FDPIC ELF".  Blackfin currently requires you
to explicitly specify the -mfdpic flag to the assembler (which we mostly get
around as our gcc spec file will add it by default).

what i'd like to do is promote FDPIC ELF as an object format so that we can do
the default target binding based on tuple and in the configure scripts rather
than having this logic in the source code.  the annoying part is that the
obj-fdpicelf files merely define one or two things and then include the
normal obj-elf files.  i'm attaching a working patch (that is both outdated
wrt CVS head and lacking ChangeLogs/etc...) to show what i mean.  if this is
the way to go, i'll clean it up and submit it for commit.

is there a better way to do what i want ?
-mike