Dead easy question - if you already know...

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Mon Apr 21 18:46:00 GMT 2008

  I kind of already know that the answer is "yes", but I don't understand the
logic behind it:

  The standard idiom in bfd to find out if you're doing a relocatable or final
link is to test if the output bfd pointer is NULL; if so, you're doing a final
link, else you're doing a relocatable one.

  But why?  Where's the output going, if not to an output bfd?

  (And if there's something I've overlooked in the docs that should have
already explained this for me, RTFM pointers gratefully accepted.)

    cheers,
      DaveK