gold input section handling

David Miller davem@davemloft.net
Tue Apr 15 00:48:00 GMT 2008

From: David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:44:01 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org>
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:41:38 +0200
>
> > Also there is always the issue that even if it was fixed at the kernel
> > level, would you really want to prevent users from compiling older
> > kernels?
>
> Right.  I think gold not being able to build existing software
> is going to be a major blocker for adoption.

Actually, I looked things over a bit and I'm starting to change my
mind about this.

The kernel does now have markers to tag const data correctly, namely
__devinitconst et al.  This puts them into a different section,
exactly what we want.

We've had to make kernel changes in the past to accomodate new tools
and other similar issues, and therefore this situation is not really
any different.

I'll work on submitting some kernel patches to cure the cases that are
currently wrong.  The one's I've fixed so far have gotten me to the
final link where some 64-bit sparc target bugs were triggered :-)