gold's emission of _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 8 00:28:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:01:04PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> writes:
>
> > I can't tell which one is right, using the .got section index or
> > SHN_ABS, perhaps the choice is arbitrary.  Sun's linker seems to
> > behave the same as gold.
>
> I believe the choice is arbitrary.  All that really matters is the
> value.

Use the .got section index rather than SHN_ABS if doing so works with
all dynamic loaders of interest.  _G_O_T_ being SHN_ABS requires the
dynamic loader relocate SHN_ABS symbols (which is silly) in shared
libraries.

Or even better, use just one section symbol for all local dynamic
relocs.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM