gold's emission of _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Mon Apr 7 23:01:00 GMT 2008

David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> writes:

> I can't tell which one is right, using the .got section index or
> SHN_ABS, perhaps the choice is arbitrary.  Sun's linker seems to
> behave the same as gold.

I believe the choice is arbitrary.  All that really matters is the
value.

> I also noticed that gold does not emit a _PROCEDURE_LINKAGE_TABLE_
> symbol as the BFD linker does.

In BFD, it's an option, controlled by elf_backend_want_plt_sym.  Both
elf32-i386.c and elf64-x86_64.c set it to 0.  So there is no reason
for gold to emit it as yet.

At the moment, in gold, symbols like _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_ and
_PROCEDURE_LINKAGE_TABLE_ need to be defined by the CPU.cc file.  With
some more experience I hope that we can consolidate the CPU.cc files
some more.

Ian