Resetting LMA for new VMAs

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 5 23:39:00 GMT 2008

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 07:11:43PM +0100, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
> or rather the manual says the LMA spacing matches the VMA spacing, but does
> not mention this surprise if you set the VMA but not the LMA.

But your example script *does* set LMAs.  I don't see why you think
that the new linker behaviour is any more surprising than the old.

Getting back to overlays, suppose I have a script that specifies
overlays and thus the section lma is greater than section vma for
every section past the end of the overlay region.  If I happen to set
vma for one of these sections, say to leave a gap, then your patch
would set lma back to vma, potentially overlapping some previous
section.  Note that this imaginary overlay script doesn't currently
need to set lma anywhere.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM